Beginning in the early 1960s, the then University of Buffalo was merged into the State University of New York System to become the State University of New York at Buffalo (SUNY Buffalo}. Until then, the School of Dentistry, which began in 1892, served as a regional school that focused almost entirely on the training of dentists. With the advent of the SUNY era, huge changes ensued, including the hiring of dozens of full-time faculty to serve the expanded mission of the University to provide research, teaching and service to the local, national and international communities. Within a short period, the school's reputation, which became known as the School of Dental Medicine, greatly expanded. The purpose of this project is to tell the story of the transformation of the school into a world-leading institution through stories from some of the people who were hired during this time.
Do you have a story to share, photographs or other visuals?
Contact Frank Scannapieco (email@example.com)
Produced by Frank Scannapieco
Edited by Michael Chernoff
Transcripts and guidance by Michael Frisch PhD and Judith Weiland, The Randforce Associates, LLC.
Technical and website support by Kelli Bocock-Natale and Jason Chwirut.
Funding provided by the UB Dental Alumni Association and the Office of the Dean, University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine.