Basic Life Support Training Requirement
DUE August 6 For All Students
- All DDS students are required to maintain American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification throughout their DDS program.
- Please note that BLS for Healthcare Providers is different than other BLS/CPR courses, and only BLS for Healthcare Providers certification is acceptable.
When can you take the course?
1ST YEAR STUDENTS
TAKE NO EARLIER THAN JULY 1
3RD YEAR STUDENTS
TAKE NO EARLIER THAN JUNE 1
It is very important that you take the course NO EARLIER than the dates listed above!!
- BLS certification is valid for one or two years, depending on where you take the course. You should be sure you will receive a two-year certification when signing up for a course.
- If you take the course earlier than the dates listed above, your certification will lapse before you complete your DDS requirements and you will be required to retake the course immediately.
- BLS Certification is mandatory for clinic privileges.
- Current 1st Year students will be taking coursework until late June of their 3rd Year of the DDS program, and therefore must have BLS certification valid until July 1.
- Current 3rd Year students do not graduate until June 1, therefore must have their BLS certification valid until the official graduation date.
Where can I take the BLS for Healthcare Providers course?
- The course may be taken at any location offering the BLS for Healthcare Providers course.
- If you are in the Buffalo area, you may take the course on the UB South Campus (see next section).
BLS for Healthcare Providers Courses Available on UB South Campus:
- Students may take the BLS for Healthcare Provider course at any location they choose. UB’s Recreation Services provides classes on the South Campus (105 Clark Hall) for students in the Buffalo area.
- Classes are held on Monday evenings (6:00pm – 9:00pm) and Saturday mornings (9:00am – 12:00pm) at a cost of $55, which can be paid by cash or credit card.
- If you experience any problems and need assistance registering, please contact Michael Moran at 716-829-6015 for assistance.
Submitting Proof of Course Completion
- When you receive your BLS certification card, please sign the backside.
- Submit a CLEAR photocopy or scanned image of the front and back of your American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers Course Completion Card, ensuring that you have signed the back of the card, to:
Matt Blum Email: email@example.com
- Since American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers Course Completion Card is valid for two years, students usually take this course prior to the 1st and 3rd Years of the DDS program; however Special Status students who are required to repeat any portion of the curriculum may require re-certification at different times.
- Student participation in BLS for Healthcare Providers courses is done at their own expense; this cost is built into the estimated costs of attendance for all DDS students.
You will not be able to be eligible for clinic privileges until you have fulfilled this requirement.