Admissions Overview


Learn about the application process, see an overview of our programs, and find the estimated cost of attendance.

On this page:

How to Apply

We have a paperless application and admission review process.  Application procedures for each program vary, but there are certain steps that relate to all applicants. 

Admissions Requirements

The University sets general admissions requirements for graduate study.  These include letters of recommendation; a minimum undergraduate GPA; and demonstration of English Language proficiency for international applicants. Please refer to the General Admissions Requirements page for full details.

In addition, each Advanced Dental Education program has a dedicated admissions page with program-specific application and documentation requirements.  Every program requires receipt of supporting materials by the application deadline.

GRE Requirements

The GRE is required for the following MS program: Orthodontics. 

Annual Cost of Attendance

  • The figures below reflect estimated expenses for one year of study.
  • Advanced Education students pay Graduate Student tuition and fee rates as published by UB's Office of Student Accounts.
  • Other charges may be assessed to your account including Student Health Insurance and the International Student Fee.
  • Eligibility for NYS tuition rates* is outlined by Student Accounts

    * Newly admitted students to University at Buffalo graduate and professional programs who have indicated New York State (NYS) residency status on their application will be required to submit documentation for verification of residency status. After receipt of an admissions decision, students must provide three proof of domicile documents as specified in the SUNY NYS Residency Policy. Please reference the NYS residency verification information page to view additional information and acceptable document types.  Admitted students who have indicated NYS residency status will be emailed, after receipt of an admissions offer, to upload the documents within the secure applicant portal by appropriate deadlines.

2023-24 Anticipated Cost of Attendance (COA)

The COA includes Tuition, Broad-Based UB Fees, and Indirect Expenses detailed on the University's Financial Aid page plus applicable Clinical Program Costs COST OF ATTENDANCE  
  NY State Resident Out-of-State and International  
Degree Programs
Biomaterials, MS $33,806.00 $45,596.00  
Oral Biology, PhD $33,806.00 $45,596.00  
Oral Sciences, MS $33,806.00 $45,596.00  
Clinical programs: Figures here include additional clinical program costs 
Endodontics Certificate $57,268.00 $69,058.00  
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Certificate $33,806.00 $45,596.00  
Orthodontics, MS and Certificate $63,836.00 $75,626.00  
Periodontics Certificate $61,671.00 $73,461.00  
Prosthodontics Certificate $59,320.00 $71,110.00  
TMD & Orofacial Pain Certificate $42,806.00 $54,596.00  
AEGD (Advanced Education in General Dentistry) $52,806.00 $64,596.00  

Breakdown of Additional Clinical Program Costs (included in the COA above)

Program CMS Fee PG Fee Indirect Program Expenses
Endodontics Certificate $10,000 $11,000 $2,462.00
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Certificate n/a n/a n/a
Orthodontics, MS and Certificate $10,000 $9,000 $11,030.00
Periodontics Certificate $10,000 $9,000 $8,865.00
Prosthodontics Certificate $10,000 $9,000 $6,514.00
TMD & Orofacial Pain, Certificate n/a $9,000 n/a

Clinical Management System (CMS) Fee: Covers dental instrument sterilization, maintenance & replacement, and to support clinic computing costs.

Postgraduate (PG) Fee: Covers expenditures, equipment, computers, instruments, and supplies needed for higher-level course instruction.

Indirect Program Costs: Detailed on each Program's Admissions Page, as applicable.  The COA displayed here includes Year 1 expenses.

Frequently Asked Questions

University Resources