- The University at Buffalo requires all full-time
students to have health insurance coverage. All new
students (full-time and international) will automatically be
charged for the University plan on the first tuition bill for the
- If you already have comparable health insurance coverage and do
not wish to subscribe to the University's plan, you must complete
the on-line waiver process at: healthinsurance.buffalo.edu.
(A waiver would also negate the grace period coverage.)
- This must be done prior to or soon after your arrival at UB in
order for you to be refunded the fee for University Student Medical
- You may waive until the due date of your first tuition bill
with no penalty. There is a $50 penalty to waive after the
first due date which doubles each month.
- The final waiver deadline will be posted on the Student Medical
- In mid-July, the waiver process will be available on-line along
with dependent enrollment information and application (to add
dependents, i.e. spouse or children).
- Frequently asked questions about the SMI plan, including the
plan benefits, will also be available at the SMI Office and in PDF
- Please visit the Student Medical Insurance website for the
updated information in July.
Student Medical Insurance Office
223 Student Union
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-2100
Phone: (716) 645-3036 Fax: (716)