BUFFALO, N.Y. – It’s that time again. The University at Buffalo will welcome the newest members of the university community beginning Thursday, Aug. 24, with a variety of informative – and fun – programs before classes begin on Monday.
With thousands of freshmen and transfer students arriving at UB, a variety of activities – both educational and social – are being held to help them adjust to campus life. It’s all part of a new initiative, New2UB, designed to ensure new students get off to a strong start at the university.
Here’s a partial list of events:
Thursday, Aug. 24:
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – New students move into UB’s residence halls: Ellicott and Governors complexes on the North Campus, and Clement and Goodyear on South Campus, assisted by faculty, staff and student volunteers.
Friday, Aug. 25:
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. – New student move-in continues at the residence halls.
- 4 p.m. – Opening Weekend welcome and interlocking UB photo at the Student Union Field. The annual event draws more than 2,500 first-year students – all wearing UB T-shirts – to form the university’s logo. A. Scott Weber, vice president for student life, will welcome students.
- 5 p.m. – New students will have an opportunity to get to know each other at the Carnival to be held at Baird Point, where there will be carnival food, games, a zip line and fire dancers.
- 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. – Late Night Social Activities, including a Silent Disco outside Goodyear and Clement halls, Late Night Outdoor Movie in the Student Union Field and Glow in the Dark Capture the Flag at Governors Complex.
Saturday, Aug. 26
- 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. – UB Pride and Service Day. Students will meet in the Student Union lobby before heading out for community service projects in Buffalo neighborhoods.
- Noon – Discover Buffalo. Students will head by bus to spend the afternoon at Niagara Falls, the Elmwood Arts Festival or Canalside.
- Noon to sunset – Outdoor Recreation. Students will enjoy canoeing and kayaking on Lake LaSalle as well as other outdoor fun.
- 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. – Late Night Bash. Dance the night away and get a little messy at the Late Night Paint Party and EDM concert at the Student Union Field.
Sunday, Aug. 27
- 3-5 p.m. – Cyclovia. Dozens of UB students and member of the campus community will join A. Scott Weber, vice president for student life, for a bike ride around campus beginning at the field next to the UB Bookstore. Cyclovia also will include people-powered activities such as skating demonstrations, a BMX stunt show, bike safety and registration information, yoga instruction and street art and performances.
The full schedule of events is available on the Welcome Weekend website.